Male enhancement supplements are a variety of natural and sometimes synthetic compounds designed to enhance the performance and pleasure of sexual encounters – often either by directly stimulating the penis or increasing dopamine sensitivity in the brain.
As well, supplements or herbal remedies that increase energy levels may also contribute to improved sexual performance and male enhancement.
Best Male Enhancement
Cilexin Male enhancement uses natural ingredients, such as zinc, l-arginine, Tongkat Ali, and Panax ginseng, to boost erectile health without any products that may be harmful to your body. Cilexin is formulated to stimulate proper blood flow and energy levels while also providing general sexual and erectile health.
This male enhancement supplement is made in the USA at a facility that is both FDA registered and follows GMP practices. For these reasons, it’s our #1 pick.
2. Male Extra
Male Extra’s slogan is “bigger, harder, longer”. It’s one of the leading brands for male enhancement supplements and has a long-term success story with a slew of satisfied customers. This formula was designed with the idea of providing lasting and superior performance to satisfy both you and your partner.
The primary ingredients that make this formula so potent are pomegranate ellagic acid, l-arginine HCL, MSM, and l-methionine. Male Extra’s compound is made with safe and natural ingredients to increase blood flow and supplement your performance.
This supplement was designed with 100% natural ingredients and is slated to provide fast results with no side effects. Viasil boosts vitality, stamina, and strength for ultimate performance. The primary ingredients include Epimedium Brevocorum, Zinc, Citrus Sinensis, Ginkgo Biloba, and more natural ingredients that are proven to improve circulation and sexual health.
Viasil allows you to take control of your bedroom experiences with power and lasting expertise. You don’t have to worry about your privacy when you order this product. The site offers full security and the product ships in discreet packaging.
4. Nobi Nutrition Premium Male Enhancement
Nobi is a nutrient-dense male enhancement supplement that will help improve your stamina, strength, and blood flow to provide the best performance. This formula is highly potent and is designed to work quickly and effectively.
Primary ingredients include maca root powder, Tribulus Terrestris extract, horny goat weed, and Zinc oxide.
5. Nature’s Craft Horny Goat Weed Herbal Complex
Nature’s Craft is unique in that it is designed to boost your libido and stamina and is created to be useful for both men and women. This formula is made with natural ingredients, primarily Horny Goat Weed, which has been proven to boost energy, performance, and stamina in sexual experiences.
Other active ingredients, used by Nature’s Craft include Tribulus Terrestris, Tongkat Ali root powder, saw palmetto, l-arginine amongst other natural ingredients. Nature’s craft male enhancement capsules are 1000 mg strength for maximum potency. This formula is made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility.
6. Dr. Emil Nutrition Goliath Concrete Cowboy
Goliath Concrete Cowboy is a formula derived to enhance male performance through veggie capsules. This supplement works to regulate and boost blood flow for complete support for males in every area that enhancement might be needed. Goliath Concrete Cowboy uses scientifically-backed ingredients of this formula including Tongkat Ali, l-arginine, zinc, and maca.
These ingredients have all been proven to boost testosterone and blood flow which in turn can improve sexual experience, stamina and muscle growth.
7. Pure Micronutrients Male Libido Plus
This male enhancement supplement from Pure Micronutrients promises to improve your libido through a third-party tested formula. Pure micronutrients are formulated by doctors and include science-backed ingredients like horny goat weed powder, l-arginine HCI, maca root powder, and Tribulus Terrestris powder to supercharge your libido and intimacy.
It’s also made in the USA and is free of magnesium stearate, gluten, and artificial additives.
8. Modern Man Products Nitric Enhancement Alpha Male
Packed with high-quality libido boosting ingredients like horny goat weed and maca, this formula will also help you outside the bedroom boosting strength, overall size, and stamina.
Modern Man Male Enhancement is fast-acting and effective for whatever your needs may be. Modern Man’s formula is made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility and is also 3rd party tested.
9. Boost Ultimate Testosterone Booster Male Enhancement
This herbal blend supplement is formulated to provide energy all day and all night for optimal performance in your workouts, and the bedroom, where it truly counts. This compound works to naturally enhance size, stamina, and energy.
The natural blend of Boost Ultimate seeks to restore blood flow and increase your drive and desire to elicit ultimate performance needs for you and your partner. Boost Ultimate uses Tongkat Ali, Maca, l-arginine, and ginseng. It’s made in an FDA-approved facility and the company offers a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
10. Herbal Youth Natural Alpha Male Enhancement
This male enhancement supplement from Herbal Youth provides the right ingredients to increase mood & endurance for your sexual encounters. Herbal Youth veggie capsules include gingko biloba, butea superba, kaempferia parviflora, tongkat ali, and some additional natural ingredients. There are no fillers, binders, or GMOs.
How We Rank
The first thing we looked at when ranking our best male enhancement supplements, was the ingredients list. There are many natural, science-backed ingredients that can be used for male enhancement, like l-arginine and maca. We preferred companies that used these ingredients, which is why Goliath Concrete Cowboy and Pure Micronutrients are on our list.
Next, we reviewed products for the use of proprietary blends. Most of the time, this is a term for fillers that are meaningless to the formula. Some of the time, these blends can provide positive substance but for the most part, they are unnecessary and take away from the usefulness of other ingredients. We kept both Boost Ultimate on our list, despite their use of proprietary blends. Boost Ultimates provides other useful results that are certified and proven despite the blend. Unfortunately, we eliminated popular brands PCNL and Icariin, as well as MAX Performer because they contained proprietary blends that appeared to be unnecessary and did not contribute to the performance of the supplement.
As for other products on the list, we made sure that they included at least 2 of the following science-backed male enhancement ingredients: zinc, horny goat weed, Tongkat Ali, Maca, and l-arginine.
We also looked at company reputation and reviews. We wanted to ensure that every option provided would be able to truly deliver on its promises. Because of this, we eliminated a popular option – Testo Edge, because there were users who documented some terrible side effects after use.
After all this, we determined the top 10 best male enhancement supplements on the market.
1. Potassium may help boost one’s sexual performance and act as a male enhancement entity. It is theorized that this effect is due to the high level of potassium in bananas. A 1997 study defined this relationship through a cause-and-effect style trial. 33 random control trials were performed using potassium supplementation. The results showed reduced diastolic and systolic blood pressure levels in the groups that consumed potassium supplements. It was suggested that potassium may benefit the cardiovascular system and normalize blood pressure levels (1).
It has been found in other research that high blood pressure and other cardiovascular or blood flow issues have been related to an individual’s decreased sexual performance, including maintaining an erection (4).
Thus, by improving these factors, male enhancement is possible.
2. Capsaicin from chilis and peppers – or other spicy foods – may also increase blood flow, reduce hypertension, and decrease inflammation; therefore, aiding in male enhancement and sexual performance. It’s been noted in various studies and research that spicy food may contribute to increased blood flow (5, 6).
Some studies have indicated that this may be due to the higher salt content in spicy foods. It was also found that higher spicy food consumption may reduce high blood pressure (7).
In turn, this again may enhance male sexual performance. Other scientific articles have noted that improving hypertension and other cardiovascular markers may increase male enhancement and sexual performance (8).
In fact, one study even indicated that around 46-47% of males have erectile dysfunction associated with their hypertension issues. It indicated that there is a higher prevalence of erectile dysfunction in individuals with hypertension than individuals without hypertension (9).
3. Omega-3 fatty acids may help increase blood flow, adding to male enhancement and sexual performance. A 2000 study treated participants with large artery endothelial dysfunction with 4 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day. Researchers saw significant improvements after 4 months.
The abstract of the study concluded by saying, “Marine omega-3 fatty acids improve large artery endothelium-dependent dilation in subjects with hypercholesterolemia without affecting endothelium-independent dilation.” In other words, omega-3 fatty acids have the potential to improve cardiovascular outcomes and thus help with male sexual performance (10).
A 2006 study assessed the use of omega-3 fatty acids when it comes to brachial artery dilation and blood flow during forearm contraction. Two omega-3 fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) were taken by the subjects in the study for 6 weeks. They took 2 grams of DHA and 3 grams of EPA per day.
The subjects’ blood pressure, heart rate, brachial artery diameter, and blood flow were all assessed before and after supplementation. The group that received supplementation had significantly increased blood flow and brachial artery diameter. This study suggested that omega-3 fatty acids do indeed improve blood flow and cardiovascular function (11).
Again, this may contribute to increased male enhancement when it comes to sexual experiences and performance. And supplementation isn’t the only way to get more omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon, tuna, and other foods also offer an abundance of these fatty acids.
4. Onions can improve overall blood flow. Onions are proven to have antithrombotic effects, meaning they prevent blood clots from forming. In a 2001 review, published in The Journal of Nutrition, showed that onion may inhibit platelet formation and response, which may help in cardiovascular disorders and improve blood flow; thus increasing male enhancement (1).
A study in 2000, also published in The Journal of Nutrition, studied the effects of onions on rats and their cardiovascular systems. Researchers found that the rats that consumed raw onion had antithrombotic effects (2).
5. Vitamin B1, also known as Thiamine, may improve neural pathways and function, improving the function and sexual response of the male genitalia. The Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine published an article related to this topic in 2011. It highlighted the importance of B1 in the nervous system. The authors stated that B1, or Thiamine, is important for the biosynthesis of neurotransmitters, as well as reducing oxidative stress (12).
6. Nitric oxide allows the penis to fill with blood by relaxing the structures involved in this process. L-citrulline, an amino acid, increases nitric acid in the body. By increasing this amino acid via supplementation or food, it may improve male sexual performance. And in one study in 2011, it was found to improve erection hardness in men who had a history of erectile dysfunction.
The participants in the study took 1.5 grams of L-citrulline per day. It was found to improve the erections in these men, as well as proven to be tolerable and safe by the researchers and scientists involved (13).
Another study also had similar findings. In 2017, a study correlated nitric oxide with erectile dysfunction and found by boosting these levels, the men’s sexual performance significantly improved (14).
7. Maca is considered a libido stimulant, and it may help in the male enhancement department. A 2008 study explored maca and its use in helping reduce sexual dysfunction while increasing the subjects’ libido. The 17 women who participated in this study had selective‐serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)‐induced sexual dysfunction. Researchers compared a low dose of maca, at 1.5 grams per day to a high dose of maca, at 3 grams per day.
The subjects in the high dose maca group saw significant improvements. It was well-tolerated and researchers concluded that it could, in fact, help with sexual dysfunction, as well as with increasing a person’s libido (19).
8. Caffeine and energy supplements may also help improve sexual dysfunction or libido issues, thus providing male enhancement. Anxiety and other problems create issues when it comes to sexual performance. Ashwagandha is a medicinal herb in the Indian Ayurveda medical system that dates back thousands of years ago. Studies have shown that ashwagandha may help reduce stress and anxiety (20).
Scientific reviews state that stress and anxiety may play a role in sexual dysfunction and reduced sexual performance (21).
Thus, supplements and herbs – like ashwagandha – may help improve sexual performance, providing male enhancement, by reducing stress and anxiety.
A 2012 study involved 64 subjects with a medical history of chronic stress. The subjects took one capsule of ashwagandha, with a concentration of 300 mg, twice a day for 60 days. It was found that the group that took the herb supplement twice a day had decreased stress and anxiety. Researchers suggested it could have protective effects in such cases as well (22).
9. Rhodiola is another herbal supplement that may help with mental and physical fatigue; thus aiding in improving male sexual performance. A 2011 review analyzed the effects of this herb and concluded that it may have beneficial effects including improved physical performance, increased mental performance, and reduced mental fatigue (23).
This herb was also found to help alleviate depression and its symptoms (24).
Again, this could potentially contribute to male enhancement, depending on an individual’s health and mental conditions.
10. Beetroot may act similar to nitric oxide in the body, helping with male enhancement. In fact, beetroot contains a high amount of nitrate, and is found in various supplements (25).
One study even found beetroot to increase the exercise time of individuals by 25% compared to those that hadn’t taken it, proving it’s efficiency and effectiveness at boosting energy levels in the body (26).
Beetroot juice also has blood-pressure-lowering effects (27).
As aforementioned, reduced hypertension can have positive effects on sexual performance.
11. Horny Goat Weed is a natural remedy for male enhancement that can help with erectile dysfunction. Many male enhancement supplements contain horny goat weed, which is an herb that has long been known to assist with multiple sexual performance issues, such as erectile dysfunction.
Additionally, this herb can provide relief for things such as joint pain, memory loss, physical and mental fatigue, and various wellness conditions, making it a versatile additive to your supplement. Horny goat weed also improves blood flow and is considered a safe supplement ingredient.
12. L-Arginine is a male enhancement supplement that produces nitric oxide to widen your blood vessels. This process allows your blood to circulate more freely, giving better blood flow where it is truly needed. You can get this amino acid naturally in several foods, but it’s also a common component in male enhancement formulas. L-Arginine is considered to be a safe ingredient for supplements, as long as you are mindful of the doses and be sure you are not taking multiple supplements with this same nutrient.
L-Arginine can reduce blood pressure, treat erectile dysfunction, reduce inflammation in your gut, regulate blood sugar levels, and help treat various cardiovascular symptoms.
13. Gingko Biloba is a male enhancement supplement that can improve libido and blood flow. Gingko Biloba is a well-known eastern-medicine plant that can help improve nitric oxide production and widen blood vessels to promote blood flow to the penis. A 2008 study showed that Gingko Biloba helps to dilate blood vessels and thus improve overall blood flow in the body (31).
14. DHEA is a male enhancement supplement that can help treat and reverse erectile dysfunction. DHEA is a natural hormone produced in the body that can turn into either testosterone or estrogen. In persons with erectile dysfunction, studies show that their DHEA levels are overall lower, compared to individuals without ED problems (32).
Another 1999 study showed that men were able to get and maintain an erection better when consuming 50mg of DHEA per day (33).
15. Panax Ginseng is a male enhancement supplement works at the cellular level to improve erectile dysfunction and sexual performance. Panax ginseng is a well known herb that can act as a male enhancement supplement in various ways. The reason it seems to work so well is due to the ginsenosides. A systematic review conducted in 2008 showed that Ginseng could be an effective treatment for ED (34).
Other more recent studies show that it can help improve circulation and lung function – which are all important factors for improving erectile dysfunction (35).
16. Yohimbine is a male enhancement supplement that can improve blood flow to the penis. A 2002 study showed that yohimbine was an effective treatment for libido and organic erectile dysfunction in men (36).
1. Onions may cause stinging or irritation when contact is made with the eyes. They may also cause allergic reactions or skin reactions, depending on the person.
2. Spicy food may cause stomach issues, such as serious indigestion, nausea, discomfort, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and heartburn. Heartburn is one of the most common side effects when it comes to spicy food.
3. Too much potassium may cause burning and tingling, weakness, mental disorientation, paralysis, blood pressure problems, irregular heartbeats, and even death.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids in some rare cases may cause high blood sugar, low blood pressure, diarrhea, bleeding, heartburn, stroke, vitamin A toxicity, insomnia, and more.
5. L-citrulline may not work as well as an erectile dysfunction supplement.
6. Maca may be unsafe for those with hormonal sensitive conditions, such as if you are pregnant or have cancer affecting the sexual organs.
7. Ashwagandha may cause stomach issues in some individuals, such as vomiting or diarrhea.
8. In rare cases, allergies, blood pressure issues, chest pain, insomnia, and other effects may occur from the consumption of Rhodiola.
9. Beetroot may cause your urine or stools to appear pink or red. This is normal and nothing to be worried about. However, if it counties after discontinuing beetroot supplementation, you should consult a doctor.
10. Ginkgo Biloba can interact negatively with certain medications. This includes drugs like blood thinners, NSAIDS and SSRIs. If you are allergic to plants that contain alkylphenols or taking certain medications, you should not take ginkgo.
11. DHEA may cause oily skin, acne and increased hair growth, due to its changes in sex hormones. However, you should speak with your physician prior to using this supplement.
12. Panax Ginseng may cause sleeping issues in certain individuals. It can also cause elevated blood pressure, headaches, menstrual issues dizziness and diarrhea. It may also interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and monoamine oxidase inhibitors and insulin. Ginseng is not FDA-approved for treating erectile dysfunction.
There is no standard dosage for male enhancement pills as each differs in makeup and amount. However, there are dosages recommended for individual ingredients.
For potassium, it is recommended to consume between 3500 and 4700mg per day from food.
Omega-3 doses vary per health concern however the recommended dose is between 200 and 4000mg.
To supplement L-citrulline for circulatory health or to alleviate erectile dysfunction, take 1,000 mg of citrulline, three times a day with meals, for a total daily dose of 3,000 mg. L-citrulline does not need to be taken with meals, however.
The optimal dose for medicinal use has not been established. However, the dosage of maca root powder used in studies generally ranges from 1.5–5 grams per day.
For ashwagandha, take 300–500 mg of a root extract with meals (with breakfast, if taken all at once). More research is needed to determine if higher doses can yield greater benefits.
Usage of Rhodiola as a daily has been reported to be effective in doses as low as 50mg but can be taken as high as 680mg.
Beetroot tends to be dosed on the nitrate content, with around 0.1-0.2mmol/kg (6.4-12.8mg/kg) being the target for nitrate. This is about 436mg for a 150lb person, which is comparable to half a kilogram (500g) of the beetroots themselves (wet weight).
For healthy adults, up to 400 mg/day of caffeine is considered safe. Pregnant or breastfeeding women are advised to consume no more than 200 mg/day. People with cardiovascular health issues should also consider limiting their caffeine intake.
For DHEA supplementation a common dose is 25-50mg per day. DHEA has been used safely for up to 2 years without severe side effects.
For Panax Ginseng, a common dose is 200-400mg taken every day. This plant is considered a safe treatment, but should be only used for 6-8 weeks at a time.
How long does it take for a male enhancement pill to kick in? For most ED drugs, you need to wait a while before you can expect them to start working. How long varies with the drug. Viagra and Levitra take about 30 minutes to work, and the effects last for about 4 hours after you take the pill. Some natural solutions might even require weeks as they need to build up in the system.
What vitamin is good for male enhancement? Folic acid (B12) is another B Vitamin that helps produce nitric oxide. In one study, men with severe and moderate ED (but not mild ED) had low levels of folic acid. In men with moderate to severe ED, folic acid supplements can help.
Does metformin cause erectile dysfunction? No, in fact, metformin medication may help treat erectile dysfunction. New research suggests that the widely used type 2 diabetes drug metformin could double as a treatment for men with erection problems.
How long does the average man last in bed for the first time? The average (median) time before orgasm was about 6 minutes, and ranged from a blissful 6 seconds to a marathon-paced 53 minutes. The majority of men lasted between 4 to 11 minutes, with anyone lasting longer than 21 minutes being considered an outlier.
Can I take 20 mg of Cialis? The recommended starting dose of Cialis for use as needed in most patients is 10 mg, taken prior to anticipated sexual activity. The dose may be increased to 20 mg or decreased to 5 mg, based on individual efficacy and tolerability.
Does erectile dysfunction go away? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Finding the specific cause of erectile dysfunction isn’t always simple. A number of underlying medical conditions can trigger erectile dysfunction, and other factors such as stress, depression or anxiety can make it worse.
How can I improve erectile dysfunction naturally? Ginkgo may work as a natural remedy for erectile dysfunction as it may increase blood flow to the penis. Some evidence suggests high doses of L-arginine improve erectile dysfunction by helping blood vessels to open wider, which improves blood flow to the penis.
Does fish oil help with erectile dysfunction? Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil, which can improve cardiovascular health and lower triglycerides as well as possibly increase dopamine production and reduce the risk for depression, are all pluses for the libido.
Do male enhancement supplements work like viagra? Viagra is often associated with having numerous side effects that are simply not enjoyable. Many men take Viagra and don’t experience side effects but there are many that do. Taking over-the-counter male enhancement supplements might actually be better for your health, potentially delivering results that are just as good, if not better, than what you would experience with Viagra. Additionally, Viagra requires a prescription and does not mix well with certain medications or health ailments.
Will male enhancement supplements make your erection larger? This could vary based on the makeup of the supplement and the ingredients within. Pay close attention to the description and information available with your supplement of choice in order to determine whether that particular product will produce a larger erection. Many supplements do tout this benefit when advertising their supplements, but it is not guaranteed. Additionally, keep in mind that while the supplement may make your erection larger and firmer, it will not extend the overall length of your penis.
How long does it take for a male enhancement pill to kick in? Regarding prescription medication, Viagra and Levitra take about 30 minutes to work, and the effects last for about 4 hours after you take the pill. You should take Cialis at least 2 hours before you plan to have sex. These effects may last for up to 36 hours after you take it. As for natural supplements they can vary from 20 minutes to hours.
Which foods help to increase male enhancement? Foods that may help with male enhancement include onions and bananas. Onions may contribute to improved blood flow, helping to enhance blood flow to the genitals. Bananas may help normalize blood pressure and improve cardiovascular function; ultimately aiding in male enhancement. Chilis, peppers, and other spicy foods are also thought to help improve blood flow, thus helping in the male enhancement department. However, more research may be necessary to further substantiate these claims.
Omega-3 fatty acids are also well-known for their vast improvement in overall health, in particular on the cardiovascular system, which also may improve sexual performance. Vitamin B1, on the other hand, helps improve neural pathways which may improve that when it comes to sex and sexual performance.
What are some male enhancement lifestyle interventions? Other experts further suggest getting a proper night’s sleep, reducing stress and anxiety in your life via stress management techniques or coping mechanisms, decreasing the frequency or eliminating bad habits like smoking or alcohol consumption, masturbating regularly, and seeking out help via a therapist or doctor when required.
Male enhancement pills are designed to help improve testosterone production and enhance blood flow to provide higher quality erections. Substances that improve nitric acid cause dilation of blood vessels – which would help with male enhancement. Maca may further help improve one’s libido and sex drive. Energy boosters and other herbs may also aid in contributing to better health and ultimately, male enhancement.
Make sure you check with them before beginning to consume a new supplement or herb, as they know you and your health situation best and can help you make an informed decision limiting adverse effects.
In addition, it’s important to ensure that the ingredients will not have an adverse reaction with other medications you may be taking or that they may not cause an allergic reaction.
For Healthtrends #1 recommended male enhancement supplement, click here.